We’re only a month into hurricane season, and the Caribbean saw it The first Category 5 hurricane on Monday — The earliest we’ve seen a Category 5 storm in hurricane season.

After strengthening to a Category 5 storm following landfall on the island of Carriacou in Grenada, Hurricane Beryl is forecast to move west towards Jamaica. According to National Hurricane CenterThe historic hurricane, which produced winds of nearly 160 mph late Monday, is expected to reach Cancun, Mexico, on Tuesday.

Beryl marks the second hurricane of this year’s hurricane season, which officially began on June 1. On June 20, the first named storm of the season, Tropical Storm AlbertoFour people were killed in central Mexico.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is predicting an above-normal hurricane season for this year. As such, a storm, even a small one, can wreak havoc on your vacation plans.

So, what do you need to know now that the season is underway? Let’s take a closer look at when to watch for hurricanes and how to protect your scheduled trips.

Hurricane season forecast for 2024


On May 23, Forecasters at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center predicted an 85% chance of an above-normal hurricane season in the Atlantic Ocean, with a 10% chance of an above-normal and a 5% chance of a below-normal season. Predictions for 2024 are far less optimistic than for 2023, when the same scientists called for a near 40% chance of a hurricane season in the Atlantic Ocean.

In 2023NOAA reported 17 named tropical storms and 18 hurricanes in the Atlantic, Eastern Pacific, and Central Pacific Oceans.

La Nina and warmer-than-average ocean temperatures largely influenced this year’s tropical activity report.

In their report, meteorologists said they expected 17 to 25 total named storms, down from 12 to 17 total named storms. A hurricane must exhibit sustained winds of 39 miles per hour or greater to qualify for the name. Of that group of storms, 8 to 13 could become hurricanes with winds of 74 mph or more; These include four to seven major storms that could develop into major Category 3, 4 or 5 hurricanes with winds of 111 mph or greater.

Daily newsletter

Reward your inbox with the TPG Daily Newsletter

Join over 700,000 readers for the latest news, in-depth guides and exclusive deals from TPG’s experts

NOAA has set its forecasts with a 70% confidence rate, the same rate as last year.

“The upcoming Atlantic hurricane season is expected to have above-normal activity due to a confluence of factors including near-record warm ocean temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean, the development of La Niña conditions in the Pacific, reduced Atlantic trade winds, and reduced wind shear, all of which favor tropical storm formation,” NOAA said in its release.

When is hurricane season?

This Atlantic hurricane season Begins on June 1 and ends on November 30, although storms may occur outside of those dates.

Hurricanes may also form in the Pacific Ocean, as well Eastern Pacific Hurricane Season spread from 15 May to 30 November. Hurricanes in the region affect travel to the Mexican Riviera, such as Los Cabos, Mazatlán, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, and Ictapa.

Hurricanes can also occur in Hawaii, especially between June and late November but more often between July and September.

Storms known as cyclones also occur in the Southern Hemisphere. Australia and New Zealand’s peak cyclone season is from March to April.

Is my vacation destination safe from hurricanes?

Atlantic hurricanes usually begin in Heads to the Caribbean, Bahamas and then hits US states including Florida, Louisiana, Alabama and Texas.

The storm also affected places as far north as North Carolina, New York, New Jersey and Canada.

Hurricanes are generally stronger in the eastern Caribbean. Peak hurricane season for this area is mid-August to September, while the western Caribbean sees more storms from mid-September to early November.

Cruise itineraries can also be affected by hurricane season.

Hurricane lingo


Check the weather if you plan to vacation in the hurricane zone during hurricane season.

As you look at weather forecasts, analyze the information through this lens:

  • Tropical depression: A weather phenomenon with sustained surface wind speeds of 38 mph or less
  • A tropical storm: A storm with winds between 39 and 73 mph
  • Hurricane: A storm with sustained surface winds of at least 74 mph
  • Hurricane Watch: Sustained winds of 64 knots (74 mph) or more are possible in the specified area
  • Hurricane Warning: Sustained winds of 64 knots (74 mph) or more are expected in the specified area
  • Major storm: Category 3 hurricane or higher

For more, see the National Hurricane Center Glossary of hurricane-related terms.

Trip insurance

If you book travel to a destination during the hurricane season, Consider your defense options. You can pay for third-party travel insurance, rely on credit card protection, or self-insure the trip if you decide the trip costs too little to lose what you paid.

Remember that most travel insurance policies do not cover trip cancellation if you cancel your trip in advance because the weather forecast looks gloomy. In most cases, the storm will need to be named and you will need to purchase your insurance before the storm is named.

If you’re worried about bad weather ruining your trip, buy a cancellation for any reason add-on to your insurance policy. While this can be expensive, it may be worth it for your situation. You can compare the prices of trip insurance with and without add-ons on the portal viz InsureMyTrip And Squaremouth.

How to help

There will be many people who need help in the wake of Hurricane Beryl (and perhaps other storms throughout the season).

Airlink is a nonprofit organization that works closely with aviation and logistics partners to provide relief and supplies to aid workers and affected communities. Airlink told TPG it would provide relief to affected countries, including Grenada, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica.

You can donate directly to Airlink here.

Bottom line

“As one of the strongest El Niños ever observed, NOAA scientists predict a rapid transition to La Niña conditions, favorable for Atlantic hurricane activity as La Niña lowers wind pressure in the tropics,” according to NOAA. “At the same time, abundant oceanic heat content in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea creates more energy to fuel storm development.”

This means that we expect the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season to be more active than in recent years.

NOAA added, “Human-caused climate change is warming our oceans globally and in the Atlantic basin, and melting ice on land, leading to sea level rise, which increases the risk of hurricanes.” “Sea-level rise represents a clear human influence on the damage potential of a given hurricane.”

NOAA will update it 2024 Outlook August is when the hurricane season is at its peak.

Related Reading:

Leave a Comment